Thursday, August 26, 2010

Nuts

I read an article about nuts helping cholesterol on The New York Times few days ago (and here's the link for the article). Well, before I came to France, I've never worried (or even thought) about cholesterol, since I didn't enjoy red meat a lot and was not really hot about any high-cholesterol contained dishes. But an almost-five-year-long life in France have altered my daily nutrition completely; now I find myself spreading a chunk of butter on the toasted bread in the morning, preparing creamy pasta for lunch, and cooking strip steaks with butter for dinner (it is a miracle that I am still keeping my body in shape, but who knows what will happen if I keep on eating like this). Recently, O and I decided to eat healthier - meaning, more greens on the plate, using fresher ingredients, and (gradually) reducing the frequency of having red meat (O doesn't know about the last one yet haha). So, this 'snacking on some nuts everyday' thing sounded wonderful as a part of our healthy-eating plan.

So I got two bags of cashew nuts and two bags of almonds (unsalted, of course).

It seems that 1 to 1.5 ounce of nuts are recommended per day.
(1 ounce is around 28g, so the maximum seems to be somewhere around 40g per day)

So, I counted them. haha!
14 almonds were 20g, and another 14 cashew nuts were 20g!

So, here we go! 10 almonds and 10 cashew nuts per day!
(Next time, I'll include some walnuts as well.)


2 comments:

  1. WHAT?! No Red Meat>!?!!?

    Is this part of an environmental initiative? To reduce the number of cows?

    I will double my red meat consumption from now on!!! no more greens!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha i can guess who wrote this comment haha

    ReplyDelete